• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Vegetarian Health

Dr Farnsworth

Bluelighter
Hey all i am about 2 months into being a vegetarian. Just curious if anyone with some more experince has any suggestions, warnings, or tips.

So far i have lost a bit of fat and feel healthier. But let me know your story/experience fellow herbivors!

Fruit for when your on the move, Greens when your not. I myself am more towards raw vegan. i like to keep it simple and enjoy drinking my morning urine!

3904307212_b63ac51e03.jpg

these things~! PB loves them, we've started putting them in egg scrambles, pasta, etc. When I first went vegan, fake meats were a huge help.

snacks: stock up on raw things, nuts, granola, fruit. i love yougurt & granola at any time of day.

i also suggest buying in bulk. bulk rice, lentils, quinoa, that shit will change your life. cheap, healthy, and easy to make many different ways.

don't let yourself fall into the junk food vegetarian trap!

I've been a Vegetarian for over six years--Vegan for the past year, year and a half of it.

I agree with Kenicki minus the fake meats--Most aren't Vegan. Not sure if you're talking about simply being Vegetarian, Kenicki, but you might want to check your labels. And yogurt isn't Vegan either... Neither is most granola. Anyways.

If you make sure you eat enough calories (as many people use Veg'nism as a cover up for eating disorders) and most of those calories are vegetables, you shouldn't have to worry about deficiencies.

Oh, and this thread may give you some tips, though it's about Veganism, not Vegetarianism.

Lastly, if anyone is wondering, Vegans do not eat any animal products. That includes but is not limited to meat, fish, seafood, eggs, dairy, milk, cheese, yogurt, gelatin, rennet, honey, ... Vegetarians do not eat animals, including meat, fish, seafood, pork, beef, chicken, turkey, birds, gelatin, rennet, ... Some may chose to eat dairy and/or eggs.

I've been a Vegetarian for over six years--Vegan for the past year, year and a half of it.

I agree with Kenicki minus the fake meats--Most aren't Vegan. Not sure if you're talking about simply being Vegetarian, Kenicki, but you might want to check your labels. And yogurt isn't Vegan either... Neither is most granola. Anyways.

If you make sure you eat enough calories (as many people use Veg'nism as a cover up for eating disorders) and most of those calories are vegetables, you shouldn't have to worry about deficiencies.

Oh, and this thread may give you some tips, though it's about Veganism, not Vegetarianism.

Lastly, if anyone is wondering, Vegans do not eat any animal products. That includes but is not limited to meat, fish, seafood, eggs, dairy, milk, cheese, yogurt, gelatin, rennet, honey, ... Vegetarians do not eat animals, including meat, fish, seafood, pork, beef, chicken, turkey, birds, gelatin, rennet, ... Some may chose to eat dairy and/or eggs.

the fake meats i posted above are vegan (as it says plainly) :) and soy yogurt is easily found at our local kroger or whole foods. since this thread is about someone who has just started being a vegetarian, i figured it was fine to suggest yogurt, granola, etc. the anal retentiveness and borderline elitist aspects of veganism would be more of a harm than a help, i felt. its best to start easy, and then work your way up -- be that veganism, or just strict vegetarianism. :)

^ Ah hah, it does say "vegan" on those fake meats! I apologize--We don't have much in the way of Vegan fake meats out this way. Unless I just haven't looked too hard (I think they're prrrretty gross tbh).

And yeah, jumping right in to Veganism can be difficult for some, but for others it's no big deal. Sorry I misread your post--Thought you were talking about being Vegan and eating yogurt, granola, etc.

Anywho, to get back on the topic of Vegetarianism, I'd suggest using a search engine and looking up "easy Vegetarian recipes" or something to that extent--The Internet is filled with tons of tasty recipes.

As Kenicki said, don't become a junk food Vegetarian! It's so easy to do: The fake meats should be a "once in awhile" type food, not a "three times a day" deal like I had going on for awhile. :p

^ Ah hah, it does say "vegan" on those fake meats! I apologize--We don't have much in the way of Vegan fake meats out this way. Unless I just haven't looked too hard (I think they're prrrretty gross tbh).

I think most are gross too, but these Field Roast things...I can't get over them. My Aunt (who is a 62 year old vegan) turned Pander Bear and I on to them when we went to Arkansas over the summer. Is it because she made us an amazing brunch, or because they really are that good? I don't know. But I love the 'original" flavor, he's a fan of the chipotle, but its too spicy for me. I assume if I can find them in East Jesus Nowhere, Arkansas (pop. 2800), you can find them somewhere in WNY. :)

And yeah, jumping right in to Veganism can be difficult for some, but for others it's no big deal. Sorry I misread your post--Thought you were talking about being Vegan and eating yogurt, granola, etc.

no problem. some choose to jump right into veganism, some work their way there. After being vegetarian for 14 years, I felt like I could make the jump into veganism. After 7 years of being vegan (and moving in with PB) I let up a bit and became more flexible with my eating choices. It's a compromise, and I'm actively reveganising my diet.

Anywho, to get back on the topic of Vegetarianism, I'd suggest using a search engine and looking up "easy Vegetarian recipes" or something to that extent--The Internet is filled with tons of tasty recipes.
As Kenicki said, don't become a junk food Vegetarian! It's so easy to do: The fake meats should be a "once in awhile" type food, not a "three times a day" deal like I had going on for awhile. :p

http://www.veggieboards.com/newvb/forumdisplay.php?36-Recipes

easily organized, divided by kind (main dishes, pasta, rice, other, dessert, beverage, etc) and all are easily made vegan, if that's what you like. I was a member at this board for many years and met a few BLers there (it's how I ended up here! =D) but recently left. But for a new vegetarian/vegan, it's a priceless resource.

^ Depending on the ingredients in those Field Roast things, I may check 'em out sometime. Was told to try a Sunshine Burger--Not sure if this is around the same type of product, only obviously one's a burger and the other's a sausage.

I had tried jumping into Veganism abouuuut a year after going Vegetarian--Failed horribly. Same thing with the second time I tried, after about three years of going Veg. Finally got so grossed out by eggs and developed a lactose intolerance that I had no choice. :p

I've been on VeggieBoards before--Can't remember if I ever registered, but I def. remember that site. It is a great one for new Veg'ns.

Came back to this thread to post this thread. Might have some beneficial information about Vegetarianism--Haven't read it in awhile so I don't remember.

Wow thanks guys this is all great info :]
I actually tried some "Tofurkey dogs" last night that were pretty delicious. So why did the vegans here decide to go from vegetarian to vegan? To my understanding if a cow isnt milked it can actually cause the cow discomfort (like a full bladder).

Can anyone support that or explain their reason for choosing vegan???
Thanks

^^I'm no longer vegetarian/vegan, but the conditions that cows/chickens are raised in are atrocious whether they are being raised for meat or dairy/eggs.

Wow thanks guys this is all great info :]
I actually tried some "Tofurkey dogs" last night that were pretty delicious. So why did the vegans here decide to go from vegetarian to vegan? To my understanding if a cow isnt milked it can actually cause the cow discomfort (like a full bladder).

Can anyone support that or explain their reason for choosing vegan???
Thanks

this statement is false. to get a cow to produce milk requires getting the cow pregnant, over and over and over. the calves either become dairy cows, or veal. it's a fucked up industry, and really, i think that if you don't even go vegan, but give up milk & eggs (or get eggs from someone who has chickens) you'd do amazing things. the dairy industry is fucked up. and there is no reason humans should be drinking another species milk imho. a little weird, right?

i went vegan because it just seemed logical. i had always had problems with lactose my whole life, and grew up drinking soymilk. all i had to do was switch out butter with earthbalance and buy some egg replacer & soft tofu. my life didn't change much at all.

some go vegan for health reasons, for ethical reasons, or like me, just because. i'm not into veg*nism because i care about animals (which i certainly do, needless suffering is not okay) or because i'm a health nut or anything like that. it's just how i was brought up and what i'm used to.

Good to know ill look into more being a vegan.

Legerity why did you decide to stop being a vegan/vegetarian?

I tried twice and I didn't have a particular reason for stopping either time, just lost motivation. My attempts were mostly motivated by health reasons and neither time did I really feel any better while eating vegan. I don't want to start any debate here about the merits/ethics of it or anything, but I for me I just do better with animal products in my diet.

Mhmmmm, would you vegetarians or vegans eat meat if it was grown in a lab so you didnt have to kill or use animals?

OP, i would suggest investing in a multivitamin suppliment or protein shake suppliment.

i've been vegan for a few years now and that's really one of the best things you can do for yourself.

i use this stuff called 'spirutein protein powder'. it's vanilla flavored and tastes great in any fruit smoothie! it has pretty much all of your necessary vitamins and minerals, so one smoothie in the morning and you don't have to worry about nutrition for the rest of the day. great for if you're really in to cooking and trying out new recipes (like me). it takes all of the worry out of making sure that you're getting all of your nutrients.

*EDIT*

also, keep some Cliff bars handy wherever you go. they all taste great and are wonderful energy boosters.

avoid fake meats and cheeses, though Daiya makes some very natural and tasty cheese alternatives.

stick with whole foods. fresh fruits, vegetables, freshly squeezed juices, all of these things are higher in nutrients and will definitely make you feel better (as well as make the veg life cheaper).

if you MUST eat out, foreign eateries are the best for veg food. at an american style restaurant, you're lucky if they have a salad or a boca burger...

KEEP track of your daily protein intake, as well as vitamin b-12 (if you can, this is more difficult than protein to track)

trust me. (7-year veggie).

protein deficiency = bad
b12 deficiency = bad

get some whey protein (from vegetarian rennet) or hemp protein or soy protein and take 1-2 scoops a day. you will NEED to get at LEAST 1/2g of protein per pound of body weight per day. so if you're 150lbs you NEED at LEAST 75g of protein if you exercise...slightly less if you have a sedentary lifestyle.

get your blood levels checked every 6 months...especially b12/folate. you will most likely need to take a b12 supplement...i take a 1mg (1000mcg) methylcobalamin every 3 days.

you are going to look and feel great and your body will thank you by living, on average, 7 years longer (for vegetarians) and up to 15 years longer (for vegans).... at least that's what i heard somewhere once...but i believe it... you sure as hell aren't going to get any of the preventable problems in life (diabetes, high cholesterol, etc).

google "benefits of vegetarianism" there are literally THOUSANDS. And i'd suspect you will never go back to eating meat again... i know I wouldn't.

Mhmmmm, would you vegetarians or vegans eat meat if it was grown in a lab so you didnt have to kill or use animals?

very interesting philosophical question Dr. Farnsworth!

i'd say no, because I don't enjoy the texture or flavor of meat. but i'm sure some people, who are only veggies b/c of the ethical issues surrounding meat consumption, would consider eating meat grown in lab dishes as it would seem to have no moral repercussions (that come to mind right away, anyway).